- Is that a banana in your pants or are you just happy to see me?
- Please keep half an eye on the Citi (C) pity as it flakes with dandruff and weighs on an already broken bank group.
- Note the NDX (200-day), NASDAQ comp ('05 lows) and S&P (Feb lows)-those are the levels that the bulls are using as a backstop.
- Police in Hong Kong arrested two men on suspicion of stealing a boatload of "spiritually regarded" pine trees, which they allegedly intended to sell to feng shui practitioners. The plan failed when their boat -- apparently lacking Feng Shui's "harmony" and "positive energy" -- developed mechanical problems which left them adrift and resulted in their capture. (Associated Press)
- Perhaps they should send this dude to a doctor before locking him up?
- SOX 417-420, after failing to hold double secret support, now becomes resistance. The stochastics are bullish but, as we know, they can stay bullish without the attendant upside performance.
- War drums?
- "Currently about 70% of the stocks in the S&P 500 are above their 200-day moving averages. This figure is down from about 84% at the end of 2004. The deteriorating participation within the S&P says fewer stocks are responsible for holding up the index and combined with the following is an amber flashing light - a warning sign. NYSE Cumulative Breadth (net advancing stocks) is off 4.5% since March 7, 2005 compared to a 2.9% decline in the S&P 500. The deteriorating breadth condition is another indication that fewer stocks are responsible for holding up the market. These figures are worse for Nasdaq." -- Uber-Minyan John Roque of Natexis Bleichroeder
- All a man has is his name and his word.
- Expiration action typically bookends the session. Today is setting up much the same.
- On the Minyanville housekeeping front, we've got some good things lined up in the next few months. For starters, you'll soon see a few new professors offering insight on the Buzz and beyond. Next, the All-Star guitar will be auctioned with the proceeds benefiting the Ruby Peck Foundation for Children's Education. And lest we forget, the Minyans in the Mountains Crested Butte retreat will arrive this summer and I promise an upside surprise for all who attend! If your firm is interesting in information on how to sponsor MiM2, please click here for President Fish!
- Pass the Herb!
- I've still got the lone leg in the bear costume (25% conviction on the short side) as the breadth is 2:1 negative, the banks broke, the semis stank and crude is rude. And while I can't seem to shake the notion that Snapper is gonna try to make 'em fly, nothing that I'm looking at (homies aside) support his sport.
- Fare ye well into the expiration bell and enjoy the games this weekend!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter