Five Things You Need to Know Blog Edition: All Subprime; Master of the Universe; Sue Tube?; Cracks Beneath the Hood; Couch Potato Action
Minyanville brings together the best of what they are saying "out there" about the topics we're talking about right here
Blogs themselves need no introduction, as they get as much publicity as pretty much anything these days, save maybe the latest Britney news. There's an expanding world of excellent financial blogs, covering pretty much everything from global economics to swing trading. Minyanville's goal is to bring together the best of what they are saying "out there" about the topics we're talking about right here.
1) It's All Subprime, All the Time Now.
At least now that the Yen Carry Trade is considered pretty much yesterday.
- "Is the subprime crash a potential investment opportunity?" asks Mike Rivers.
- Here's The Daily Reckoning with a moderately different take.
- Ugly Chart notes the nice risk/reward short setup Accredited Home Lenders (LEND) presented last week in its Dummy a Day feature.
- Thrombolic Volatility? It generally means that you buy it, as this option trader notes.
2) Goldman Sachs. Master of the World. Ruler of the Universe
Licensed to print money and kill gophers at will.
- Treehugging really did pay off.
- Crossing Wall Street chimes in.
- Just don't spend too much time at Facebook if you actually work at Goldman, lol.
3) Sue Tube?
I guess Viacom (VIA) is really serious this time.
- No, they mean in a real live lawsuit.
- Unless it's just another negotiating tactic, which sure seems overwhelmingly likely.
- Mark Cuban has had a few opinions on the subject, most recently here and here.
4) Some Cracks Beneath the Hood?
- Dr. Brett's Adjusted Tick Volume stat shows a lack of conviction in the recent bounceback.
- Some Jason Goepfert guy finds four instances with similar extreme reverse volume days a week apart.
- Diversification? Yeah, that sure worked well recently (not). Eliot Wave International highlights some of the obvious flaws (hat tip to Ron Sen).
- Dead Cat Bounce...Dead? So asks Yuk Trader.
5) Couch Potato Action
- My abnormal friend...I mean my friend, Abnormal, sends me this article on REM's shrinking legacy.
- I watched a little of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last night and here's a quickee review. Van Halen might have sounded a little better if an actual Van Halen (or Lee Roth) had attended. Patti Smith (not Patty Smythe) is terrifying.
- And Michael Stipe has no voice. I'm as big a fan of "Life's Rich Pageant," and incorporating Myles Standish into a song, as anyone, but using the relativiely obscure "Begin the Begin" as one of your songs? Not sure. The "Man on the Moon" duet with Eddie Vedder was excellent though.
- And I realize this breaks the "no 24 plot givaways within 72 hours or airing" policy, but this shouldn't diminish the suspense. So riddle me this. The show took place between 6 and 7 PM last night, PST. And there was a need to speak with the wife of the Russian President. But she was giving a speech and was unavailable. Given the time difference though, that speech was at something like 6 AM in Moscow , kind of an odd time to give a talk, no? Too bad; the show had been utterly realistic until now, lol.
- And as long as we are talking about Time Travel, how about that Cisco (CSCO) commercial where some classroom here is having a virtual staring contest with a a classroom in presumably China? Do they have 3 AM classes over there? Paging Mr. Chambers.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter