By Todd Harrison Feb 09, 2005 8:50 am
Franklin's Tower is starting to shake!
- Census Bureau! The Investor's Intelligence weekly survey is out and the Matador Crowd marginally upticked to 54.6 (vs. 54.5) while the Red Dye crew slipped to 23.3 (vs. 25.3). Nothing new on the lopsided landscape as the bears continue to get crowded out.
- We alluded to the alligators yesterday who were looking to "lock in" a 4.4% yield. Get used to it, the yen for yield and continued compression are likely gonna be themes for dreams.
- "Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff." -- Mariah Carey
- Google (GOOG), which filled most of the 17 point gap since last week's earning's pop, dutifully bounced yesterday in front of today's analyst fete. Traders will weigh the coming giggles vs. the 100 million shares of insider stock due to free up tomorrow.
- Turn around, Bonnie Tyler, and fix those bright eyes on your fixed income duration.
- "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
- Mini-Minyan Mailbag: "Toddo-connect the UK dots. 1) Central bank tightening, 2) Slowing (cough) UK housing bubble, 3) Inverted UK yield curve, 4) The FTSE traded over three standard deviations from the 50-day for the first time since September 2000 (Thanks Jason Roney), 5) Potential trouble is now becoming more tangible 6) As the U.S. often follows its friends across the pond, will the same stateside script be written as I write? And perhaps MOST importantly, will Scotto be a PBR poster boy by MIM2? Minyan JB"
- Hoofy is squeezing a lump of coal so hard that rumors abound that he'll soon pop the question to Miss Daisy.
- When is the last time that you were so excited by your work that you couldn't sleep?
- Breadth never gave Hoofy the wink yesterday. And I'll key on 'em for as long as they continue to be the single best intraday tell.
- S&P 1196, BKX 102 and SOX 420 now becomes the bovine backstop.
- That's not mine!
- Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) announced that CEO Carly Fiorina is stepping down effective immediately. CFO Robert Wayman has been named interim CEO and was appointed to the board of directors, though the company will begin the search for a new CEO immediately. The company will hold a conference call at 9:00amET at 800-706-7745 passcode 93115577. (Nice call Mr. Macke!)
- While I wanna save Toby and jetison him to the 'Ville (he would be happy here), I do not (and cannot) vouch for the legitimacy of these efforts.
- Franklin's Pain continues today as the GSE's head to the hill to spill (and count) the beans.
- Looking back over the last few years, March has been the "inflection" month for the Minx.
- Two men do not a market make. And despite the dollar bounce (or the room to DXY 86.60 200-day), I wouldn't wanna be sitting on the other side of a poker table from these fellas.
- On the heels of the Cisco (CSCO) report, note the following names with % of revs from CSCO fwiw: Hi/fn (HIFN) 41%, Ixia (XXIA) 29%, Finisar (FNSR) 22%, Integrated Device Tech (IDTI) 20%, Avanex (AVNX) 20%
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter