Valentine's Day Romance Index
Stock picks for richer or poorer.
Let's face it: men are required by convention to do most of the heavy lifting around Valentine's Day, mostly to make up for all the things they've done, or will do, the remaining 364 days of the year. Consequently, "analyst" expectations are historically far higher than their "company's" ability to execute. And therein lies the investment opportunity.
How can a smart Valentine monetize her floundering partner's missteps? Minyanville unveils two investment indexes specifically designed to capture the wide range of Valentine's Day romantic dreams... and disappointments.
- 1-800-FLOWERS.Com (FLWS) helps kick the day off the right way with a
lovely floral arrangement.
- Hershey's (HSY) manufactures chocolate for ratcheting the evening's anticipation up a notch.
- Ruth's Chris Steak House (RUTH). A romantic table for two at a high-quality, publicly traded steak house.
- Willamette Valley Vineyards (WVVI) reminds you not to forget the wine, big spender.
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide (HOT) temporarily transforms "home" into a luxury hotel suite.
- Blue Nile (NILE). Nothing says "be mine" like a two carat diamond set in platinum.
- The Knot (KNOT). Weddings don't plan themselves, you know.
- Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) serves upwards of nine square meals a day, beckons you to perform the pop and lock at Diamonds and Pearls (or some equally cheesily-dubbed nightclub) and generally takes the guesswork out of the honeymoon.
- Anheuser-Busch (BUD). Hey, it's noon on Valentine's Day somewhere.
- Churchill Downs (CHDN). Mr. Goodbar's listed at 12-1 morning line; got a hunch.
- Rick's Caberet (RICK). I'm a "gentleman" and this, apparently, is my club.
- Fortune Brands (FO) Paging Dr. Jim Beam.
- Fortune Brands (FO) Still paging Dr. Jim Beam.
- Smith & Wesson (SWHC). Dr. Beam, meet my friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
- Prepaid Legal Services (PPD). Two words: nolo contendere.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter