By Marcus Laun Feb 10, 2004 12:19 pm
- We've walked through the laundry list of potential flags. Some things to watch the other way include a benign Elmer speech (tomorrow), a good Treasury refunding and a continuation of the recovery in junk spreads (that started yesterday)
- A humble request to all Minyans. Please join me in saying "J-T-B" and send some white light to the left coast. Thanks!
- Further suggestions for Fokker Jr.- Ruprecht, Gaylord and the Gipper.
- There was an article in CFO.com last week regarding new accounting and off-balance sheet assets. This rule (FIN 46) impacted Cisco (CSCO:NASD) to the tune of $567 million and could filter through to other companies as well.
- In the movie Sling Blade actor Billy Bob Thornton - in an attempt to make his character Karl Childers walk in a more awkward manner -- put crushed glass in his shoes.
- The breadth has improved nicely (better in the S's) and is somewhat 'sticky' during the downside tests. That, in a vacuum, is bullish.
- At the beginning of Prohibition, there was such confidence that alcohol was the cause of virtually all crime, a number of towns actually sold their jails. In an isolated series of events, we've seen a fair amount of puts being sold today in the marketplace.
- The Minx is trying to squirt and spurt through initial resistance. If it does, S&P 1150 and NDX 1515 will move into the near-term cross hairs.
- Chatter of "push outs" in the semiconductor space were making the rounds this morning. I am not involved (and can't confirm) but it was 'out there.'
- American International Group (AIG:NYSE), Coca Cola (KO:NYSE), Fox Entertainment (FOX:NYSE) and Hercules, Hercules, Hercules (HPC:NYSE) report tomorrow morning.
- Flow's Diner: We just saw a customer selling 1,500,000 XLF (financial spiders).
- Europe is now hugging either side of the flat line.
- VXO 18 (volatility index) once again quelled the fear smear (currently 15.80). This is a level that should remain on our radars.
- Ever see Liar Liar with Jim Carey? Wouldn't it be awesome if Elmer's child made the same wish tonight? Think about it--this could be one of the funniest Randoms ever!
- The XBD (broker/dealer index) is down in the face of a massive Merrill buyback (MER:NYSE).
- The conference call jugglefest continues--and will through next week's launch--so thanks in advance for understanding. We're still shooting for Tuesday but Thursday may be the more realistic date. Stay tuned--the critters are workin' their tails off (bad image) and it's always better to do something right rather than quick.
- Retail (still crowded on the short side) is taking a breather after a few days of jig.
- Every trader is now staring at the same levels. Ya think?
- Define your horizon--either price or time--before initiating risk.
- From Minyan Ronald Sen: Trading lately reminds me of the scene in 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid' where Butch is in the knife fight and wants to discuss the rules. His opponent says, 'Rules in a knife fight?', whereupon Butch kicks him in the groin. 1,2,3 Go...
positiion in qqq
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter