By Todd Harrison Feb 01, 2005 11:43 am
- This is when I'll know Minyanville has truly arrived.
- The G7 is calling for a cut in oil prices. All they have to do is ask?
- "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw
- Fleck on the Buzz (via his always excellent website): "In looking at the Commitment of Traders Report, it is quite interesting what one sees. The long position held by the speculators has been reduced to what it was back in June 2003, when gold was about $375. Meanwhile, the shorts are at the highest level since 1999. It also must be noted that some of these commodity baskets own gold, so the amount held in weak hands is probably the lowest it's been in a very long time. Those data points do not mean that gold has to go up immediately, but I believe they're an indication that the downside is very limited, and if we were to get a spike lower, it would be reversed rather quickly."
- Vanity Farm!
- Acne or false breakout? The S&P and NDX are both poking through the 2005 downtrend.
- "For some reason every time I hear someone say the market is flat I think of the movie Sixteen Candles." Minyan Dan Meehan
- We've started mapping out particulars for MIM2:Return to the 'Butte. Any 2004 attendees who would like to submit testimonials, please feel free!
- S's over N's.
- I don't ever want a meet a kid who isn't a silly heart or a dreamer and I certainly don't want to meet one that takes her student career seriously.
- Macro variables remain muted thus far.
- What do you think Elmer & Co. are chatting about right now?
- Get me some corks for my forks and lets get cultural!
- Lighten up Thain!
- How many bears were still there in Chic Merc (CME) (-12%)?
- I offered on the Buzz that my (not particularly strong and subject to change) feel was higher. Tight stops are warranted, however, as lotsa unknowns loom.
- Yo is just Oy spelled backwards.
- "There have been three great inventions since the beginning of time: fire, the wheel, and central banking" - Will Rogers
- Vibes on the VIX from Dr. John Hussman.
- You gotta love a Minyanship that tries to offer insight regarding my sleep-eating chocolate fetish.
- Mini-Minyan Mailbag "Toddo-Do you know if the Fed has changed the way it reports personal savings rates? Check out this release. Thanks! Minyan Pepe Depew" Kev- I'm not current on this statistic but will offer that nothing the Fed or BLS does (to "massage" or remove "corrupt" data) would surprise me anymore. If I lived my life by their rules, I'd be 20 pounds thinner with a thick head of hair!
- Mini-Minyan Mailbag follow-up: "Toddo-Do you not know that personal income surged because of the Microsoft dividend?"
- "Deficits don't matter," "Investors are very pessimistic right now," "We are still in a secular bull market heading for the second great bubble. This next time period should be better than 95 to 2000." --Harry Dent, as interviewed on Minyan Bob Brooks' Dallas radio show
- #8 is enough. For now.
- And you thought Minyanville was a silly name for a town?
- We're still trying to swing the particulars for a Super Sunday Minyanfest in NYC. We'll letcha know as soon as we circle up the wagons!
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter