• When a trade goes against a retail long, too often you hear accusations of manipulation. The fact that there is occasionally a nugget of truth in this doesn't seem to dissuade folks from the occasional guffaw. I wonder if the same thing will come to be true when retail shorts blame their bad positions on "too much liquidity."
• The "problem" at the FDA is not lack of attention, lack of authority, or anything else. The problem at the FDA is an over reliance on biostatistics. More on this later.
• From the "it's about damn time" file, the makers of Sudafed are issuing a reformulation that prevents the cough syrup from being converted into methamphetamine. Meth is a scourge in towns large and small across the U.S. and I can't believe it's taken this long to come up with a reformulation.
• Rice Krispies with water, hold the sugar, is proven to be gentle to Festivus-stressed stomachs unable to keep down anything else.
• If you have room for kind thoughts for inanimate objects, send some the way of the Cassini space probe and its hitchhiker, the Huygens probe. The latter is due to descend to Saturn's moon Titan expending its brief 3 hours of battery life in an effort to send back atmospheric and, if we're lucky, ground data about this mysterious celestial body. We get the data back here January 14.
• I was watching the BBC last night as a Russian woman said she was comfortable with President Putin eliminating elections in favor of personal appointments of governors. Her reasoning? "We have better things to spend money on than democracy." Yes, that is the hair standing up on the back of my neck.
• Props to Toddo for practicing what he preaches and unplugging for a few days. Any bets on whether he'll be able to manage it
• I'm not done with my Christmas shopping and don't mind that one bit. I like going out in the day or two before Christmas. Yes, my wife thinks I'm odd.
• I'm not sure whether this is more disturbing because of all the countries claiming him or because of the environmental groups using him to advance their causes.
• Could our gubernatorial race in Washington really be decided by 10 votes?
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter