Macke Randoms and Idle Tubthumps
Admitting Weakness is better proof of merit than denying flaws
Gimmick Infringing Randoms and "Unusual" Imaginings
- If each year of the market were a college basketball game from the pre-shot clock era (and really, who hasn't thought of it that way countless times?), this would be the point at which the bulls started employing Dean Smith's Four Corner Clock Eating offense.
- Wait a minute... I thought folks in the Red States didn't/ couldn't read?
- "Life is what happens while you're making plans"
- There's your plan and there's God's plan. Only one of those plans matters. The plan that matters is not your own.
- No word if this is going to affect plans for "Snoop Dogg Week" on Seasame Street
- The Bush administration is considering a request to restrict imports of Chinese-made brassieres and other body support undergarments. (Insert your own snark here; the infinite menu of options has frozen my brain.)
- Todd-O, if you're sitting at a terminal watching the markets and writing it doesn't so much count as a "day off"
- I have yet to walk into a single retailer that "feels" like it's hitting on all sales cylinders this season. Not one, and I've been in a lot of 'em.
- "Overshorted" is the best explanation I have for why the retailers are (generally) hanging tough on the stock side. It's also the explanation for why I'm not much playin' short or long there at the moment.
- The only New Year's resolution I have so far is "try to tease Collins a bit more in print".
- I only tease Collins so because of my respect for him (it's fun but generally not funny to pick on people you don't like and respect)... also because I think it's important for readers (and Maria) to know that he's trying on her outfits.
- The Franklin firing news broke during a commercial break on Whine and Cheese (Bullseye) last night. Given the passion of various professors on FNM, and my non-involvement in the name, I was wishing I could have used a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"-esque lifeline to let Todd or Succo do some venting.
- Why is the stock strong? Guessing off the top of my head: 1. Big Short Base 2. the thought that W wouldn't fire Raines only to let "his" pick to run the joint fail 3. the idea that the gub'ment, by finally fessing up to SEEING the problem will certainly now fix it 4. "Buy the (horrifyingly terrible with negative long-term implications for the entire U.S. economy) news!"
- All that said, widely shorted names aren't breaking even when the news would justify it (*cough Take-Two TTWO *cough). Reacting well to bad news still works as the definition of a Strong Tape
On a personal note, I got absolutely knee-capped by some bad news from home last night, literally as I was saying goodnight to Todd, JB and Collins after a great and very fun day. Suffice to say that it was one of those moments where life hands you Instant Perspective. "Finishing up a night with the guys" is certainly not the best place for a man to be in those moments. Still, short of my actually being home to hold my girls close and protected, I can't think of anywhere I'd rather have been at that moment than surrounded by my Minyan friends.
Since I'm already borrowing his "random" template I'll go ahead and steal Todd-O's oft-stated view that we're creating something very special at the Ville. Provacative. Fun. Respectful. There's a yawning need for that combination on the Street and we're going to fill it.
Life isn't about trying to prove you're the smartest/ best/ toughest by crushing others; it's about accepting the value of the gifts of those around you and trying to create something bigger from the sum of the parts. At least that's how life is 'round here.
I'm grateful to be a part of it and welcome you all.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter