Random Thoughts to start the Day
Europe is extending its gains!
- Is it me or does Tim Wakefield look like he's pitching wiffle balls?
- The "easy" trade in YHOO! (YHOO:NASD) was the initial "pop and drop" (on the release of earnings). Now, it gets dicier as the "sell the news" crowd battles the "that's a pretty good looking chart" team.
- The Minx feels like she "wants" to bust out through the recent highs (before she potentially burns the razor).
- Drat. I was just writing that as the (better) jobless claims came out and giddy upped the pup.
- The greenback is overdue for a countertrend rally. What does that do to the bears that are keying on the dollar squalor? (that's a rhetorical question)
- The Cubs fought back and earned respect. When do the bears?
- I have NEVER penned a Random Thoughts to start the day.
- The SOX are playing inspired ball but...what's worse? Getting spanked by the Yanks again or losing to Chicago in the World Series? Hari Kari, Harry Carey!
- You know what chaps my ass? Permabulls (who have been pounding the table since the stock market top) who get on television with an "I told you so" attitude. Earth to Mikos--the Nazz is still down over 60% from its high!
- The pre-market futes are giggling slightly above S&P 1040 as a function of benign economic numbers. Please be aware that most every trader in the free world is keying off these levels and that implies (at least) two things. One, there a "buy stops" there that will spur an initial pop tart. Two, once that layer of demand is absorbed, there will be a considerably smaller short base.
- The macro hedgies are out there in SIZE right now squeezing the tape higher (QQQ and SPY).
- See some old friends--it's good for the soul.
- I miss Bill Meehan.
- There are plenty of bad people who did bad things in the market and they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There's also an unfortunate "witch hunt" element in place that is giving our industry a bad name.
- We've had a rush of new Minyans in the last month and I want to officially welcome them to our humble little town. If you're diggin' our mission, please do us the favor of spreading the word to family, friends and colleagues who might be similarly interested in creative education.
- Whoever invented bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches should get a gold star.
- The housing authority called me yesterday as they heard I was boarding a bull, bear, cow, snake and turtle in my apartment.
- Watch the biotechs (Genentech (DNA:NYSE), financials (Citigroup (C:NYSE), Internets (YHOO! (YHOO:NASD), cyclicals (General Electric (GE:NYSE), horsies (big cap tech) and the breadth as trading tells today.
- Rebecca Quick is lookin' mighty minxy these days.
- A lot of Minyans have signed up as tutors for our philanthropic partners. That, my friends, is what the spirit of Minyanville is all about.
- Dollars to doughnuts that the bug in the Philadelphia mayor's office isn't the only one in the country--it's just the first one that was found.
- Hansel, he's so hot right now. Hansel.
- Bloomberg is reporting that Pope John Paul II and U2 front man Bono are leading candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize. Now, I love U2 as much as the next guy but....
- The first half hour promises to be noisy. stay alert for further "posturing potential" in front of earning's season.
- Good luck today.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at email@example.com.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter