- What is the culture of bacteria?
- Many Minyans have asked about the potential fallout from the Putnam mess. Could it pose a problem? Absolutely...but, as with most things, it won't matter until it does. Monitor the mutual fund inflows/outflows for signs of potential problems.
- Wanna make a toin of money? Identify whether we're basing (and digesting recent gains) or churning(at resistance).
- YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY! (How does he know where we're going?)
- Am I still shaving with the Burned Razor? Yes...but I've hedged the upside with a smattering of cheap calls.
- Having dinner with grandpa Neil and professor Succo last night, I opined that a "long energy, short tech" portfolio will ultimately make some serious coin. I offered it as a (humble) opinion and I share it as such.
- Until the 50-day moving averages are broken (and stay broken), there will be little care amongst technicians. Those levels, so you know, are S&P 1025ish, NDX 1370ish and Dow 9563.
- Why does it take death to make us appreciate life?
- Good luck to all the NYC Marathon Minyans!
- As it stands, the breather is the semis is just that--a pause. It's worth noting, however, that the stochastics are pixels away from giving a sell signal.
- I'm hearing that Fokker is the next "bachelor."
- The brokerage sector (XBD) is at the same technical juncture as the S&P. Watch this group for clues and signs.
- The media sector is soft today while energy has started to perk up (along with crude).
- Europe is mixed.
- Cisco (CSCO:NASD) is the next major market catalyst (Wednesday).
- Halloween has always been my favorite holiday.
- I used to have a boss that was so technically illiterate, he used to scream "Who's this Login guy and why is he on my computer?!?"
- I'm seeing a lot of "rumortrage" these days.
- The bears are betting that the economic strength is manufactured by unsustainable forces. Elmer is (desperately) hoping that it triggers a chain reaction of business momentum.
- If I'm not mistaken, Japan had a 7% GDP surge in the early nineties too.
- I mentioned a trade yesterday that I wanted to follow up on. A customer bought 90,000 QQQ January 33 puts to sell 90,000 QQQ January 30 puts (a put spread). The hedge is calculated by taking the delta differential (in this case, .28-.11=.17) and multiplying that by the amount of contract (and then the 100 multiplier). The result was 1.5 million QQQ for sale.
- The dollar is enjoying a long overdue (yet anemic) bounce.
- Are the bulls trapped or are the bears hoping? Again, watch the financials.
- Before you drink and drive tonight, visit my brother Joel.
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter