May peace be with you!
- Oh yeah, hockey was supposed to start its season last night.
- "In a financed based economy, copper top doesn't have the legs that it used to." --Minyan Jeff Saut.
- I would like to take a moment to salute Scotto Reamer on his consistently excellent technical vibes. Those who attended the Crested Butte retreat know how unique his approach is and I, for one, believe that he's on to something massive. Case in point was his recent missive on the VXO. I know that the language is technical but it's worth getting to "know."
- Those fireman make out like bandits, Danny!
- Lotsa hair on today's dog--General Motors (GM:NYSE) puking their forecast and saying Asia is slowing. Amer Int'l Group (AIG:NYSE)--4.5% of the DJIA--is off 11% on collusion allegations. The S&P, NDX and DJIA have all breached important support. Novellus (NVLS:NASD) is trading 10% lower and leading to a 3% face plant in the SOX. Crude is up another 2.5%),
- "Reputational risk" will likely become a familiar phrase to investors.
- Ya, ya...from Sveden!
- The director of Thailand's corrections system wanted a way to shift inmates' interest away from betting on the Euro 2004 soccer tournament. Thinking that actually playing soccer would be good, he had the idea to schedule them a match against outsiders -- ostensibly to build up their self-esteem. Unfortunately, the outsiders happened to be trained soccer-playing elephants from Ayuthaya Elephant Palace. Self-esteem might have taken a hit, since the inmates could manage only a 5-5 tie. (Associated Press)
- The VXO is up 30% in the last ten sessions but is still firmly in its teens.
- My take is the same: I respect the upside but expect the downside. And it could get a tad tenuous into the election.
- Everyone knows how valuable I feel the financials are for the overall state of the tape--I say it every day and twice on Sundays. Still, I must point out the consistent supply in the big cap financials. It was already in motion before Hank Greenberg had a headache but the Amer Int'l mess (AIG:NYSE) has focused a spotlight on the sector. Citigroup (C:NYSE), JP Morgan (JPM:NYSE) and Bank of America (BAC:NYSE) are all under distribution.
- This guy is NOT allowed in the 'Ville.
- The U.S. reaches $7.38 trillion borrowing limit and the treasury said that it will suspend pension investments to stay under the limit.
- Mama said there would be days like this. I'm a buyer of Calgon if there's any sellers out there!
- I've long said that derivatives won't cause a problem, per se, but they can exacerbate it beyond most people's comprehension. Along those lines, the Fed's Geithner is on the tape saying that the OTC derivative market has grown faster than infrastructure support.
- The trannies and homies are buckin' the trend.
- If only grandma secured a patent.
- Fare ye well into the bell and have a fantastic night!
Todd Harrison is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Minyanville. Prior to his current role, Mr. Harrison was President and head trader at a $400 million dollar New York-based hedge fund. Todd welcomes your comments and/or feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter