By Todd Harrison Jan 08, 2004 11:56 am
Nothing comes for free!
- Holy Homebuilders, Batman, look at the action in complex! Ryland Group (RYL:NYSE) down a dime, Centex (CTX:NYSE) down a finski, Lennar (LEN:NYSE) taking some chin music. Bottleneck anyone?
- Heckuva call Dougie, heckuva call. The sun must be shining a bit brighter in south Florida!
- The shortest war in history was between Zanzibar and England in 1896. The Zanzibarians surrendered after 38 minutes.
- Sideways action is constructive after a big rally. Why? Overbought (oversold) tapes can work off that condition as a function of either time or price.
- At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life," an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for his Shetland sheepdog.
- History repeats itself because nobody listens the first time.
- Wanna see the two signs of the coin? Read this piece while listening to Brian's song.
- 2004: The year of the Critter.
- I wanna come back in my next life as a politician. (but not really)
- It sure seems like there are alotta loud chewers out there. As Minyan Mike opined, "I dunno if it is excessive saliva, enlarged nasal cavities or overdeveloped jaw muscles (from running our mouths so much) but it is like criticizing somebody for walking funny. My cross to bear I guess."
- Keep an eye on the retailers as a consumer proxy. With the exception of a few notable outliers, they're lower on today's same store sales data.
- Foiled again!
- Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame? Send your vote (yes or no) to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll see where the Minyanship stands!
- Gold doesn't budge. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty psyched for Laurie's metal commentary to arrive in Minyanville. If all goes well, it may be next week's business.
- The UPS delivery man (who visits my office weekly) is mentally challenged and I'm not sure I've ever met anyone with a cheerier disposition. There's a lesson in that.
- I will be traveling tomorrow and out of the 'Ville. With Adam and Greg away as well, please bear with us for the day. Professors Succo and Reynolds will have the con with a surprise visit from an old pal.
- September 11, 2001. 8:00am. Nokia (NOK:NYSE) preannouces (to the downside) and the stock is indicated up 5%. This morning, after the Nokia news, I titled the piece "E.T Phone Home" before I realized that it was the same title I used then. Hence the chill.
- "Historian: an unsuccessful novelist" --H.L. Mencken
- "Great work is done by people who are not afraid to be great." --Fred "the dorf" Dorushkin
- It was fun while it lasted. The dollar squalor returns.
- The most common plastic surgery for American men is breast reduction. (gynecomastia)
- Wanna see a rotation? Pull up some software names and then look at the telecom group.
Breadth is marginally positive and the tone seems firm. That said, it's now all about posturing in front of Beeks (and next week's earnings).
- Speaking of Clarence, we're looking for a 5.9% unemployment rate, 150k change in non-critter payrolls, no change in manufacturing payrolls, and 33.9 hours per average work week.
- "What's the matter dog you embarrassed? This guy's a gangster? His real name's Clarence. And Clarence lives at home with both parents. And Clarence's parents have a real good marriage!" --Eminem
- Gotta think positive. That's a Rubyism.
- The action in the market continues to trump the action of the market.
- More Mandy Moore!
- I've seen this before but if you haven't, it might spook ya.
- Be careful trading ON tomorrow's economic numbers. The initial move is often a head fake.
- Cat farts can be nasty.
- This sure is alotta Random Thoughts...can you imagine what goes on inside my crowded keppe?
- If you haven't visited Main Street in a while, please stop by and help support our humble little town. The fleeces are especially cozy during the winter months. Remember, 10% of the proceeds from Harrison's Department Store will be donated to the Ruby Peck Foundation for Children's Education.
- Semis. Watch that level!
- Hey Daisy, why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter