By Marcus Laun Jan 08, 2003 11:54 am
No worries, Hoofs...two steps forward, one step back.
- You know that, big picture, I think the financials are screaming shorts--I'm just not sure if they're gonna be pancakes or waffles. Either way, cookie, bring your syrup!
- The retailers continue to trade well into tomorrow's retail sales. If these numbers aren't disasters, the squeeze 'could' continue.
- "I don't think I want to know a six-year old who isn't a dreamer, or a sillyheart...and I sure don't want to know one who takes their student career seriously. I don't have a college degree. I don't even have a job! But I know a good kid when I see one...because they're ALL good kids--until dried-out, brain-dead, skags like you drag them down and convince them they're no good. You so much scowl at my niece, or any other kid in this school, and I hear about it, I'm coming back looking for you. Here--take this quarter, go downtown and have a RAT gnaw that thing off your face. Good day to you, madam."
- The internals are now skewed 2:1 negative.
- Achtung Baby! German DAX at 3025!
- I'm not a name dropper, but I DID spend some time with #32 last night (Marcus Allen) and we had a lively discussion as to whether the coaches make the player or players make the coach. I agree with him on the latter, but at the same time, I pointed out how savvy Dan Reeves was to simplify the offense for Michael Vick and let the kid do his thing.
- Slaino, Baby, Slaino!
- "Could" there be another "mini-bubble" before our migration south continues? Sure, it "could" happen. We must appreciate the potential for ALL scenarios as we craft our risk profiles for the year ahead. It's one thing to be wrong...it's another thing to bet the ranch on your view.
- The "tone" of the market has improved in the last half hour (watch Citigroup) and the BKX is flirting with 790 (high tick: 789.63). If it trades through there, I am stopping myself out of the bear costume. Why that level? It's arbitrary, but the thought process was to lock in a profit...even if it's a odd lot. Discipline over conviction. It will cost us opportunities at times but, when it's all said and done, it serves us in good stead. Huge.
- Where will the S&P (cash) close today? Closest answer gets a free Minyanville Tee! Send your response into firstname.lastname@example.org (one per minyan) and good luck!
- As a function of my style (see first post), I'm likely going to be more selective with my appendages this year. I know you guys like to see me getting dressed (and undressed) all day but my risk profile must be an extension of my thought process. Slow and steady wins the race.
- The Allman Brothers are coming, The Allman Brothers are coming!
- Do you think Martin sits in my seat when nobody's there and barks out pretend orders?
- My sense is that the Macros are long...but I saw them on the sell side aggressively on the opening. Man, Duke & Duke must LOVE them! Throw Puglisi & Co. some of that flow!
- I'm thinking of a new auction to benefit The Ruby Foundation: Spend a full day with Fokker and I as we navigate the market (and Minyanville). Haven't made a decision on this yet but, as I'm thinking it, you're reading it.
- I am psyched to tailgate at the Hole on Sunday but I'm more psyched to see Casey, Raider Marc and (especially) Raider Max. We're gonna rip 'em up Maximus...get pumped!
- Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.
- Eddie, Richard and the boyz from Deutche Bank are coming by for a lunch meeting today. Rich is my cousin, so you know, and I have pictures of us when we were 4 years old. Man, what were our mothers thinking dressing us in those outfits! Maybe I should post the picture on Minyanville. Not!
- Watch those internals...they're trying to creep better.
- I wish Joel was coming with me to Oakland...he was a HUGE Jet's fan.
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter