Take a moment to reflect on the long weekend
- I don't trust green futures after yesterday's close. Whatever caused the 10pt vapor lock in the last hour, the only thing that stopped the selling was the closing bell. "Downside probe" springs to mind.
- Keep an eye on GM's (GM) debt today. Yesterday's analyst meeting there is a reasonably decent candidate for the selling catalyst. Brian Reynolds does an insanely great job of explaining the importance and what to watch.
- 9.5 points? Back it up, Randy!
- "Now we know why tigers eat their young"
- DirecTV (DTV) update. Remember my grousing about the drop in service levels at DTV? It turns out that their systems were down "everywhere" for about a week. Rather than putting that on a recording at the 800-number they let customers climb through an 40-digit phone tree leading to.... a busy signal.
- If you sat around for a week brainstorming ways to make your customers bright-red with rage you couldn't do much better than that. "Customer Satisfaction", once lost, takes a very long time to recover.
- 10-days? So... spend the winter slathering "flax-seed oil" all over yourself, test positive, skip the first week of the season then hit 90 homeruns. By the time you pick up the MVP award your eyes won't even be glowing yellow.
- "He is the man who fixed the 1919 World Series... it never occurred to me that one man could start to play with the faith of 50-million people"
- If you let me take one book to read while spending an eternity in purgatory (or to read while holding for DTV customer service... same diff) it would be Gatsby.
- Speaking of the faith of 50-million people, according the PPI there is no inflation. (Nodding cynically with my lips pursed).
- I'm watching my "Unforgivable Blackness" dvd fairly obsessively. It's brilliant and I could spend hours listening to Sam Jackson and James Earl Jones read an instruction manual, let alone talk about Jack Johnson.
- The first movie ever shown in the White House was D.W. Griffith's overtly racist "Birth of a Nation". The President at the time, Randy Woodrow Wilson, offered that the film was "like history writ with lightening". He added that his only regret was that the movie (featuring Klansmen cast as heroes and white actors in black paint) "rang so true".
- Happy Birthday Dr. King. The road remains long but progress has been made.
The information on this website solely reflects the analysis of or opinion about the performance of securities and financial markets by the writers whose articles appear on the site. The views expressed by the writers are not necessarily the views of Minyanville Media, Inc. or members of its management. Nothing contained on the website is intended to constitute a recommendation or advice addressed to an individual investor or category of investors to purchase, sell or hold any security, or to take any action with respect to the prospective movement of the securities markets or to solicit the purchase or sale of any security. Any investment decisions must be made by the reader either individually or in consultation with his or her investment professional. Minyanville writers and staff may trade or hold positions in securities that are discussed in articles appearing on the website. Writers of articles are required to disclose whether they have a position in any stock or fund discussed in an article, but are not permitted to disclose the size or direction of the position. Nothing on this website is intended to solicit business of any kind for a writer's business or fund. Minyanville management and staff as well as contributing writers will not respond to emails or other communications requesting investment advice.
Copyright 2011 Minyanville Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Daily Recap Newsletter