By Todd Harrison Jan 14, 2004 12:36 pm
Enjoy the quiet while you can Minyans!
- "I learned long ago that there are three kinds of people in the world; the wills, the wont's and the cant's. The first accomplish everything. The second oppose everything. The third fail in everything." --anonymous.
- Hoofy will argue that soft semis in front of tonight's report is just what the doctor ordered.
- Yes, Fokker's parents read this column.
- We all know what's coming tonight. Tomorrow morning, we'll hear from Bank of America (BAC:NYSE), Comerica (CMA:NYSE), Extreme Networks (EXTR:NASD), SLM Corp (SLM:NYSE) and Wachovia Bank (WB:NYSE). After tomorrow's close, Fairchild Semi (FCS:NYSE), Juniper (JNPR:NASD) and Sun Micro (SUNW:NASD).
- A few Minyans have asked how to approach "punts" that have appreciated in price. There's no set answer--some like to sell half and ride the balance, some like to trade stock against (and set up gamma), others prefer to take the money and run. It's totally subjective.
- If you're on instant message and don't have your Minyanville icon, you're missing the party!
- I want to buy silver also but I won't chase it here. I've been saying that since $5 though. (not advice)
- Isn't it funny how the bull thesis gets louder (and seemingly more intuitive) after a big rally?
- Franklin Raines.
- Whenever Zoë comes back from the vet with a protective medical collar on, I want to plug her tail in.
- Brazil is getting waxed for 4% today (the biggest decline since August). I'm hearing locals are taking profits on big volume. I also hear razor sales are through the roof.
- Keep in mind, most "punts" expire worthless.
- I'm getting a ton of "easy money" comparisons between 1999 and now. For whatever that's worth.
- Professor Reynolds is back in action tomorrow. Just in time for the CPI (exp. .2%, ex-chow .1%), advanced retail sales (exp. .8%, less autos .4%), initial jobless claims (exp. 350k), continuing claims (exp. 3428k), the empire manufacturing index (exp. 35) and the Philly cheese steak (exp. 30).
- "7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office."
- Earnings season always creates traffic jams in Minyanville. Thanks for your patience.
- I think Boo needs to pound a panda.
- George Steinbrenner to the Astros.
- The financials and breadth are overt positives today.
- Be careful not to overtrade the fundies in a liquidity driven tape.
- This is fleece weather. Times two.
- The semis, which have been soft all day, are eyeballing their recent acne level.
- If you don't know, don't guess. You work too hard for your money.
- Yes, slurpers are included under the "loud chewer" category.
- If you could be the best in the world at one sport, what would it be?
- Is this the beginning of a prolonged "S's over N's" period? (or N's under S's?)
- Bon Voyage Dorothy and Carole!
- A fair amount of volatility funds have closed their doors recently. That's unfortunate (losing money always is) but, from a tactical standpoint, has that contributed to the depression of premium? Further, is that a signal that a long vol strategy is once again ripe?
- If you're reading this and you're not a registered Minyan, please do the right thing. Thanks kindly.
No positions in stocks mentioned.
Get The Minyanville
Daily Recap Newsletter
Daily Recap Newsletter